Pumpkin Chocolate Cake
This cake. This cake right here is my pride and joy at the moment. It combines two of my favorite things: pumpkin spice and chocolate. It’s fudgy and decadent, you would not believe what’s in it!
Two things that show how amazing this cake is: I made it on my birthday, and the loaf was longer but my dad ate some before I could grab my camera to take pics (classic).
- Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)- makes the cake super fudgey and adds tons of nutrients like Vitamin A.
- Eggs- helps create structure! Can sub for flax egg if vegan.
- Granulated Sweetener- I used monk fruit sweetener; can replace with any granulated sweetener, but it will affect nutritional value unless it’s a zero calorie alternative.
- Cashew Milk- can use any milk you want, but I like how creamy cashew is!
- Vanilla Extract- helps add flavor!
- Cocoa Powder- I used Hershey’s special dark cocoa because I like a cake that’s darker and more rich.
- Coconut Flour- probably my favorite flour! It has a high protein and fiber content, and is super absorbent, meaning you need less of it (this ingredient is very difficult to substitute).
- Tapioca Flour- gives the cake structure and and helps hold it together (can sub cornstarch, cassava flour, or arrowroot).
- Baking Soda- leavening agent to help cake rise.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- not necessary but reacts with baking soda to help texture of cake.
- Pumpkin Spice & Cinnamon- essential for flavor!
For the cake:
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1 Egg White
- 1/3-1/2 Cup Granulated Sweetener
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup 0% fat greek yogurt (I like Fage)
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp sugar free chocolate pudding mix (optional)
- 3 Tbsp Sweetener (I used monkfruit powdered sugar)
- Set oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl add wet ingredients (pumpkin, sweetener, eggs and vanilla, milk) and whisk together until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients (cocoa powder, coconut flour, tapioca flour, spice, baking soda & vinegar, and salt).
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake 40-50 min or until toothpick comes out clean (be sure not to overbake to keep fudginess).
- Frost, if desired.
1/8 Cake w/o frosting: Calories: 55 Fat: 1g, Carbs: 10g (3g fiber), Protein: 3g
1/8 cake with frosting: Calories: 75 Fat: 1g, Carbs: 12.5 g (3g fiber), Protein: 4g