Protein Birthday Cake Cookies
Remember that yellow box cake mix? I used to grab a spoon and eat the raw batter from the bowl sometimes (always*). These cookies have that same nostalgic flavor we know and love but they’re safe to eat and protein packed!
This recipe was actually a success the first time around. I added a few ingredients into the bowl that I thought would work and then I tried some of the batter (some things never change). The look on my face was probably priceless because I was not expecting it to taste JUST LIKE the real thing. Being a cake batter connoisseur, my new discovery was definitely a highlight.
- Applesauce- keeps the cookies moist and rich without all of the butter! Helps add sweetness along with fiber, vitamin C, and other nutrients.
- Monkfruit- acts as a sugar replacement without the calories and spike in blood sugar. You can replace with any granulated sweetener, but it will affect nutritional value unless it’s a zero calorie alternative.
- Eggs- help create structure in the cookies and the yolks add to the cake batter taste. Can replace with just egg whites or flax egg but won’t achieve same results.
- Vanilla extract- adds flavor; not necessary, but it is a birthday cake staple!
- Coconut flour- probably my favorite flour! It has a high protein and fiber content, and is super absorbent, meaning you need less of it (this ingredient is very difficult to substitute).
- Tapioca flour- gives the cookies a chewy texture and helps hold them together (can sub cornstarch, cassava flour, or arrowroot).
- Baking soda- leavening agent that helps the cookies rise.
- Salt- brings out the flavor and helps balance out the sweet.
- Protein powder- the star of the show in this recipe! I used the Pescience cake pop protein powder. The whey/casein blend is ideal for baking since casein helps thicken the cookie and give it a better texture. You can replace with another protein but the birthday cake flavor won’t be prominent and the texture won’t be the same.
- Sprinkles- optional, but adds color and completes the birthday cake vibe.
(makes about 16 cookies)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup monkfruit
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 tapioca flour
- 2 1/2 scoops pescience cake pop protein
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt (to taste)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl add wet ingredients (applesauce, monkfruit, eggs and vanilla) and whisk together until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients (coconut flour, tapoca flour, protein powder, baking soda and salt).
- Using a cookie scoop drop batter onto sheet.
- If desired, top with sprinkles.
- Put cookie sheet in oven for about 9 minutes or until set (do not over bake the texture will change!)
- Per cookie (16)- Calories: 47 Fat: 1g, Carbs: 2.9g (0.7g fiber), Protein: 4.8g
- Whole batch- Calories: 754 Fat: 16.5g, Carbs: 46.5g (10.5g fiber), Protein: 76g