Protein French Toast
Give up carbs? Over my bread body! Bread and building muscle don’t seem to go hand in hand, but this french toast is a win when it comes to fitness and food goals. On top of that, it’s super easy and simple to make. Also love customizing it with different toppings and flavor combos.
- Bread- the base of the recipe! You can really use whichever bread you want and customize it toward you! I used Nature’s Own Perfectly Crafted Thick Sliced White Bread.
- Egg Whites- these are what give the bread protein and fluffiness.
- Cinnamon- a must for french toast! Gives it the flavor and so many benefits like blood sugar regulation and antioxidants.
- Sweetener- optional, but helps give it that extra something. I used a few stevia drops.
- Salt- helps bring out flavor and balance sweetness.
- Toppings- usually stick with sugar free maple syrup to keep it classic but also love mixing it up with different fruit and/or sauces.
- 1 large slice or 2 regular slices of bread
- 1/2 cup eggwhites
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- Sweetener of choice (optional)
- Pinch Salt
- Toppings of choice
- Preheat pan to med-low.
- Mix eggwhites, cinnamon, sweetener and salt in a bowl.
- Place bread in bowl and let soak for a few seconds; be sure to flip.
- Spray pan with nonstick and place bread on it.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides and egg on inside has cooked. (Trick, especially if using thicker bread, is cooking on low setting and flipping a few times throughout cooking).
- Add whichever toppings and enjoy!
*will vary based on bread used*
1 large slice of my version- Calories: 175 Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 23g (0.7g fiber), Protein: 18g