Protein Birthday Cake Donuts
I donut know about you, but birthday cake flavored anything is my go to 🎂 💖 and these 70 CAL high protein donuts are def worth celebrating 🥳
These taste EXACTLY like the yellow cake box mix! My birthday cake cookies were such a hit that I decided to turn them into donuts🍩
- Applesauce- keeps the cookies moist and rich without all of the butter! Helps add sweetness along with fiber, vitamin C, and other nutrients.
- Greek yogurt- helps bind the cookies and adds protein.
- Monkfruit- acts as a sugar replacement without the calories and spike in blood sugar. You can replace with any granulated sweetener, but it will affect nutritional value unless it’s a zero calorie alternative.
- Eggs- help create structure in the cookies and the yolks add to the cake batter taste. Can replace with just egg whites or flax egg but won’t achieve same results.
- Vanilla extract- adds flavor; not necessary, but it is a birthday cake staple!
- Coconut flour- probably my favorite flour! It has a high protein and fiber content, and is super absorbent, meaning you need less of it (this ingredient is very difficult to substitute).
- Flour- Can use pretty much any flour (I used whole wheat but can use AP, oat, GF, cassava)
- Baking soda- leavening agent that helps the cookies rise.
- Salt- brings out the flavor and helps balance out the sweet.
- Protein powder- the star of the show in this recipe! I used the Pescience cake pop protein powder. The whey/casein blend is ideal for baking since casein helps thicken the cookie and give it a better texture. You can replace with another protein but the birthday cake flavor won’t be prominent and the texture won’t be the same.
- Sprinkles- optional, but adds color and completes the birthday cake vibe.
(makes about 12 donuts)
(For the donuts)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup yogurt (I used fage 0%)
- 2 eggs (sub flax)
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener (I used monkfruit)
- 2 Tbsp milk (I used almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 scoops pescience cake pop protein
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup flour (AP, oat, GF, almond, whole wheat)
- 2 tsp baking soda
(For the glaze)
- 1 scoop pescience cake pop protein
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar (I used monkfruit)
- -1-2 Tbsp milk (may need more depending on consistency)
- splash vanilla
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mix wet (applesauce, yogurt, eggs, sweetener, milk, vanilla)
- Whisk dry (protein, flour, baking soda)
- Combine all ingredients and pour into plastic bag, then cut a hole on the tip of the bag
- Squeeze batter into donut pans and bake until golden brown (I used mini pans so it was about 18 min for me)
- Combine protein, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and dunk top of the donuts in mixture
- Top with sprinkles, if desired
- Cals with glaze 70 fat 0.5g carbs 11.5g protein 8.5g